Thursday, 19 January 2012

To Be Read

I spent some time last week organizing my shelves and thought I'd share a few of the titles on my To Be Read shelf - the ones I'm going to get to as soon as I finish Hunger's Bride (I'm on pg. 850).

1.  Sara Paretsky is one of my favorite crime writers so I'm really looking forward to getting to Hardball, one of her V.I. Warshawki novels.  In this one, Warshawki is asked to track down a man missing since 1967 when he disappeared during the racial unrest of that decade but there are all kinds of obstacles in her way to the truth.

2.  Disgrace by J. M. Coetzee came highly recommended and has certainly earned rave reviews from the critics.  I've tried to get into it a couple times but have to confess defeat so it continues to stare at me from the TBR shelf.  Disgrace is the story of a South African professor in exile from academia after an affair with a student is revealed who goes to live in a rural area with his daughter but becomes entangled in post-apartheid tensions and violence.

3.  I haven't read anything of Alice Walker's in a while so I picked up Anything We Love Can Be Saved, a collection of essays on her life as an activist.  I have a lot of respect for her as a writer so I'm looking forward to reading more about her life as someone with a deep desire to change the world for the better.

4.  Walter Mosley can write about grass growing and make it interesting so I'm looking forward to delving into The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey, about an old recluse who is galvanized to jumb back into the sturm und drang of life by seventeen-year-old Robyn.  Peeped at the end, as I tend to do, and, yep, this looks set to be a great read.

8 comments:

  1. I definitely have one or two that will be going on my TBR from here. As if I really need more LOL.
    I still have Alice Walker's Colour Purple waiting in the wings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Alice Walker too. She writes with conviction and poignancy. I'd love to know what you make of the essays when you read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wendy - I know what you mean! Too many books, too little time! (I think that's going to be my epitaph!)

    Oluchi - thanks for stopping by. I'll be sure to report back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am like that too! I have at 4 books that I have plan to read and they are all fellow followers of mines(like you). Right now I am reading Brenda book "Mye Queen" and then I'm going to read T.J.Chester"s book Love Is Blind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Alice Walker's work!

    Hi Eugenia,
    It’s Ro from Ro-alwaysinpired!
    I would like to award you the Versatile blog award for the wonderful contributions you make to the writing world!
    Details are at my blog:
    http://ro-alwaysinspired.blogspot.com/2012/01/versatile-blog-award_22.html

    All the best for your blog in 2012, I'll stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I picked up Hunger's Bride last year. Can't wait to see what you think about it. I hope to read it this year.

    Mosley's book was "interesting" - lol.

    http://www.duskyliterati.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Deseree - hmm, that sounds like you weren't wild about the Mosley! Did you read The Wave? Very different from the Easy Rawlins but I really liked it an dliked also that he was exploring other worlds. The writing in Hunger's Brides is lyrical - I particularly like when he gives a couple of the Aztec myths. The theological discussions and debates leave me a bit cold but I like his portrayal of Sor Juana and Beaulah, the troubled student, is an interesting character. More, anon. Did I tell you how much I love your blog, btw?

    Ro - thanks for stopping by! Wow! An award! I should have started blogging long ago!

    ReplyDelete