Tuesday, 31 January 2012

TV free and proud of it!

I don't have a television set.  Yep, I've admitted it!  I had one for years - a Panasonic - but I only used it to watch movies so, late last year, I got rid of it altogether.  (When he heard I'd done that, the eight year-old son of a friend of mine said, and I quote, "Gee!  That must be like living in Haiti!"  I tried to explain it was a choice  and that, in any case, many people in Haiti had televisions but these were not the ones on the news.  I gave up on the explanation when he started reeling off the names of all the shows I was missing.  lol!)



I'm still a huge movie fan, though, so now I watch DVDs on my computer and surf YouTube.  What all this means, of course, is that when anyone's ranting about Newt or about the latest antics of this inexplicably famous family, I generally have no idea what they're talking about and have to go searching if I'm the slightest bit interested.

You see, I long ago came to realize something about myself and it is this - I can sit and watch hours of Law and Order SVU or Criminal Intent without getting even slightly bored. Any writer knows, however, that this is NOT how books, novellas or even short stories get written.  They get written when writers sit themselves down and WRITE them!  That's right.  There's no magic formula, no spell, just putting the words down one after another in whatever degree of coherence you're able to achieve on your first draft.

Of course, there are all kinds of good reasons to turn off your tv or get rid of it and Ron Kaufman explains them to you and gives you some hints on how you can break your addiction here.  And, as Jen and Steve, point out, a No Televison policy means you save electricity while suddenly finding more time to chat with family members and take up other activities.  So there's much to be gained from going tv-less.  Television isn't the only thing to blame for the global epidemic of obesity but spending three or four hours every day sitting in front the tube sure doesn't help and, unlike computer time, at the end of it you haven't even gotten 1,000 pages to show for it!

If you're a writer worried about your productivity, you could do worse than turning off your tv set for a week and seeing what impact it has.  If you try it, come back and let me know how it worked out for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment