Monday, 27 February 2012

Books for Black History Month

As Black History Month draws to a close, I thought I'd highlight a few of the books from my own shelves that I feel are must-haves for anyone wanting to learn more about us, about our diversity.  Since I'm from the Caribbean, most of the books are also from the region. 

Engendering History is edited by three of the leading feminist researchers into Caribbean history and is an invaluable guide to understanding the history of the region's women.
















Africa:  Altered States, Ordinary Miracles was written by a journalist and is an insightful look at various issues and challenges affecting the huge continent.















Editors Verene Shepherd and Hilary M. Beckles, both professors at the University of the West Indies, present a comprehensive review of the region's history in Caribbean Slavery in the Atlantic World.
















Decolonising the Mind is not the only one of Ngugi wa Thiong'o's works that I've read or possess but when I first read it, I was like 'yes!'  'exactly!'  Much of what he said applies to us in the Caribbean. 




2 comments:

  1. I own "Africa". I bought it while I was there ironically. Its so many pages that I've been too intimidated to start reading it. I'm drawn to covers so "Decolonising the Mind" now has my attention. I'm going to read a summary on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, it's really very readable. Trust me. Also - he tackles subjects or countries by chapter so you can go in and read the one on Somalia one week and then dip into the one on eating, like that. You're going to enjoy it.

      Delete