Saturday, 4 February 2012

Pelican at Long Bay

Today, just for fun, I'm joining the Saturday Snapshot meme hosted by At Home With Books where you can see an lovely shot of the moon in all its mystery.  Years ago, I used to be very much into photography and had all the accoutrements - a Canon Elan, different lenses, a small collection of filters, etc. but then it got a bit taxing to fit the hobby in among all the other demands of life.  I think I'm going to use this meme to ease back into it.


 My photo was taken at Long Bay, East End on Tortola and if you squint real good you can see the pelican on the rock there.  The pelicans were diving around trying to meet their daily dietary requirements and this one took a break for a minute.  My next pelican picture will be much closer but I'm not quite sure exactly how I'm going to manage that with my little point and shoot!

14 comments:

  1. I need a better camera to get close-ups...but someday. Love your shot. Thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT - and here’s
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pelican picked a great spot for fishing. I love the color of the water - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love this photo. You can tell he's just gathering his strength again about to get out there hunting for nice breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pelicans are such fun to watch when they dive into the water. It looks like they just plop in. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful scenery! I can sit and watch pelicans all day - they are so entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Colours are so rich and you got the bird. Where is Tortola?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, everybody! I'm thrilled you like the shot. I love pelicans, too. They're amazing dive-bombers.

    Tortola is in the beautiful British Virgin Islands in the Caribbean. We're about half-an-hour away from Puerto Rico by plane - a few hours by sail. Once I went to PR by barge and that took the whole night!!! The Virgins were named by Columbus in honour of St. Ursula and her 11,000 alleged virgins. (Can you tell I'm also a history buff? lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shot! And the sunshine is so inviting!

    Saturday Snapshot

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love watching pelicans dive in the water. You're so blessed to live near the water. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still remember the first time I saw a pelican - they are so funny looking but fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely shot. When we were vacationing in Aruba one year we saw one of these swoop down on the water and come up with a huge fish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I see that pelican! And a beautiful landscape, that water is so blue.

    ReplyDelete