Saturday, 19 May 2012

The Ginger Lily - Saturday Snapshot

Today, I'm once again participating in Snapshot Saturday which is sponsored by Alyce of At Home With Books! Photos can be old or new, and be of any subject as long as they are clean and appropriate for all eyes to see. How much detail you give in the caption is entirely up to you. Please don't post random photos that you find online.

The beautiful ginger lily is one of my favorite flowers. The plant doesn't grow well in all parts of the Virgin Islands since it needs a lot of water and good soil and some parts of the VI are quite dry. This one is flourishing in my garden thanks to recent rains.



The pipes in the background used to support an old grapevine that bore the sourest grapes in the world.  It was replaced by an ixora and another flowering vine which recently volunteered for duty.



The waxy flowers look unreal, don't they?



21 comments:

  1. I'm just back from Europe so am busy catching up on everyone's blogs.
    Beautiful flower, too cold here to grow one, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're such beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them! And brushing against the leaves releases the ginger scent which is lovely.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that is gorgeous! I don't think I've ever seen a ginger lily before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does look too perfect to be real -- great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They do define perfection, don't they? I love the colors and the waxiness, too. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tropical flowers are some of my favorites. I love their vivid colors and lustrous look and feel. Unfortunately I can't grow them in Chicago, but I can go and visit them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ginger Lily is really bright red and attractive. Do bees frequent ginger lilies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so much. They seem to prefer the ixora and the cedar nearby.

      Delete
  8. Those pictures are beautiful!! The flowers are so vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is so pretty! I hadn't seen this flower before until we went to Hawaii last year, and they had some at a flower garden there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, I love that back-lit second picture. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes they do look unreal. What lovely looking flowers, I don't think I've seen any quite like this before.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you shared this. I saw some of these at a local store, but didn't have time to stop and see what the unusual flowers were. They really are quite lovely.

    Here's my Snapshot

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loe tropical flowers and wish we could grow them here all year. Yes, some of these flowers look too good to be real!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That magenta is just so vivid! What a treat to see these flowers! They are like nothing growing here in New England! So beautiful and exotic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't that fabulous. I've never heard of a ginger lily, but it looks so exotic. We certainly don't get things like that growing in UK gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True but you are compensated with dahlias!!!

      Delete
  16. Oh, wow. It doesn't look anything like I expected from the name. Gorgeous. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photographs, I've never seen that before I don't think. Such a vibrant colour.

    ReplyDelete