Saturday, 10 March 2012

Rocking the Red Pump in the BVI

Today my Saturday Snapshot is a multi-tasker.  Saturday Snapshot is a great meme hosted by Alyce of At Home With Books and I usually post stuff I see around Tortola, the island where I live, and it's all lighthearted fun.  Today, though, I'm participating in the Rock the Red Pump Awareness Project as part of activities for National Women and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness Day, today 10th March.  So my photo is of me, or rather of my foot in a red pump.  (Umm, teeny, tiny, microscopic, really-hardly-worth-mentioning confession below.)

As I post this, I want to remember all the girls and women around the world, but particularly in the Caribbean and in the British Virgin Islands, who are affected in one way or another by HIV/AIDS.

Some stats:-

1.)  HIV/AIDS is a leading cause of death among 25 - 44 year-olds in the Caribbean.

2.)  Women aged 15 and older now comprise an increasing share of those with the disease.

3.)  In some countries of the Caribbean, HIV/AIDS prevalence rates among young women between 15 and 24 are two to three times higher than among young men of the same age.

4.)  Early sexual initiation and taboos surrounding sex and sexuality are some of the factors influencing the epidemic in the region.

5.)  Surveys in the Caribbean have detected high HIV/AIDS rates among sex workers.

6.)  A 2006 study in Trinidad and Tobago found that 20.4% of men who have sex with men surveyed were infected with HIV. In Jamaica, another study found HIV prevalence of 31%. Sex between men also seems to be driving an increase in HIV prevalence in Cuba.

(Sources - here and here.)

To participate in the Saturday Snapshot meme post a photo that you (or a friend or family member) have taken then leave a direct link to your post in the Mister Linky below. Photos can be old or new, and be of any subject as long as they are clean and appropriate for all eyes to see.

And now for the teeny, tiny confession (I've put it off as long as possible) - I'm basically a sneakers and sandals kind of person and most of them are either black or brown, boring I know.  But I feel like the Leaning Tower of Pisa in anything over two inches.  I went to a nearby shop, tried this on and snapped the pix.  They're Chinese Laundry for you fashionistas out there.)

17 comments:

  1. I am a 2" or lower gal. I tried on my daughter's high heels and got dizzy! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cause!

    I would love to wear pumps like these, being a fan of anything red...but I would topple. Yes, definitely.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm lovin' those shoes!!

    Thanks for dropping by and visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are a kickin' pair of heels! But, yeah . . . sneakers and sandals are my go-to shoes. Great cause. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pic and a great cause! I looove the shoe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you bought them, because they look great! Every woman needs a pair of hot red pumps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they're very hot but no, I didn't. As soon as a couple of my brawnier male friends volunteers for sedan chair duty I plan to go back for them, though. ;-)

      Delete
  7. HA! I love your confession. I was wondering at how clever you are to walk anywhere in these. They did their job though I didn't know that there was a separate women and girls day. Sobering statistics you present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those stats are pretty grim, aren't they? People in the region tend to be very religious and not want to allow sex and sexuality to be discussed openly which hampers prevention efforts.

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad to hear you doing this, love your shoes, and I hate to hear the stats you presented in HIV. How Horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very fun shoes -- I could NEVER wear them. Such a wonderful cause -- very sad these statistics. Thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE it! In our house, we call that color 'BAD GIRL RED". Every spring, my daughters and I wait until the first really hot weekend. Then, we bring out the bathing suits, shave the legs, do the pedicure and paint the toenails 'bad girl red' as a celebration of swimming pool season's official opening! Bellini cocktails follow and loud music tops the celebration. We are, indeed, bad ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, that sounds like such a great mother-daughter bonding rite! I think I'm going to steal that idea for my daughter and me.

      Delete
  11. i was supposed to post abut time ran away from me :-(
    i love those shoes. i wish i had a hot red pair. Fiery Scarlet by Revlon is my favorite colour Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a great red, aren't they? And that red by Revlon sounds very red - I must look out for it.

      Delete
  12. A shoe shop would be about the only place I'd ever have anything like that on too. My highest heals are the two inch heals on my black retro old-lady boots. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could there be some kind of inverse correlation between books and high heels? lol!

      Delete