Tuesday, 3 April 2012

First Chapter Tuesday!

Today I'm participating in Bibliophile By the Sea's First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesdays on first paragraphs that drew you in...


"There were four of us - George, and William Samuel Harris, and myself, and Montmorency.  We were sitting in my room, smoking, and talking about how bad we were - bad from a medical point of view I mean, of course.
"We were all feeling seedy, and we were getting quite nervous about it.  Harris said he felt such extraordinary fits of giddiness come over him at times, that he hardly knew what he was doing; and then George said that he had fits of giddiness too, and hardly knew what he was doing.  With me, it was my liver that was out of order.  I knew it was my liver that was out of order, because I had just been reading a patent liver-pill circular, in which were detailed various symptoms by which a man could tell when his liver was out of order.  I had them all."  Three Men in a Boat, Jerome K. Jerome

I was in Collins Bookstore and picked this up, flipped it open and began to read.  I found the idea of these three lounging around enumerating their ills hilarious and bought the book.  That was years ago.  I still have Three Men in a Boat and I periodically re-read it when I want a good laugh.

4 comments:

  1. I do like the sound of this one...thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a book I've been meaning to read for ages! What a great intro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it would be hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that the author's first and last name are the same. :)

    ReplyDelete