Saturday, 7 April 2012

Palmyra on my Mind

Join me for today's Snapshot Saturday, a great meme,  sponsored by Alyce of At Home With Books! Photos can be old or new, and be of any subject as long as they are clean and appropriate for all eyes to see. How much detail you give in the caption is entirely up to you. Please don't post random photos that you find online.

A few years ago I had the wonderful opportunity to visit Syria so, with everything that's going on over there, I thought I'd post my own memories of a beautiful country with an amazing history. The pictures below are three I took while in Palmyra, the ancient city, whose queen Zenobia stood up to the might of Rome and founded her own short-lived empire.  Syria is not on the usual tourist track so our contingent was only one of two there that day. The ruined city's stark beauty and awesome desolation are inadequately captured.

Palmyra is also known as Tadmor and is mentioned in the Bible.
The area is now a World Heritage Site.


This man drove up to the site on his trusty motorcycle
and proceeded to hawk earrings and necklaces.


According to our guide, statues of gods may
once have been showcased within these pillared boxes.




15 comments:

  1. Wonderful shots and history...thanks for spotlighting this part of the world and these gorgeous ruins.

    Here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful old ruins. I've never seen anything so ancient up close before, it must have been amazing to be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was stupendous! I will never forget it nor the courtesy of the Syrian people. Maybe next Saturday I'll post some more pix I took - Syria has a long and varied history and many amazing sites of interest to a history buff like myself.

      Delete
  3. What an impressive place. I vaguely remember something about Zenobia in my history studies. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zenobia was eventually captured and paraded through Rome but she is said to have lived out her life in exile quite comfortably.

      Delete
  4. Breathtaking pictures! Seriously what an experience that must have been!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love such places which speak of history. I am really impressed!

    Here is my Saturday Snapshot post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... this post made me gasp when I first opened it! The ruins are just so magnificent ... and in a place that has seen so much turmoil over the millenia ... what beautiful witnesses to history, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly! Palmyra was awe-inspiring and I would have loved to have spent more time there. Wikipedia says there is a town close by but we saw no sign of it so you just get this sense of humbling desolation - these ruins of a once mighty city left behind by time and the progress of other civilizations.

      Delete
  7. Those are great photos! I love visiting unusual places.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so want to visit places such as this that are rich (good and bad) with history. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, those are quite impressive looking ruins! I especially like that last one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for putting some places with those names I hear on the radio. It looks like a gorgeous country and I hope it can one day become a tourist attraction. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  11. You certainly were well off the tourist track. Such history is quite remarkable. It's sad that so few people are able to appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete