Monday, 23 April 2012

Springing Into Horror!

This week I'm participating in Castle Macabre's Spring Into Horror Read-a-thon hosted by Michelle, also known as The True Book Addict.




If you're not a big horror fan - no worries, she's counting speculative fiction, too.

For my part, I'll be reading The Haunting of Hill House.



This isn't actually the version I have but I like this cover better. My Penguin version is with the house seen behind the gate.

This is the Goodreads blurb - First published in 1959, Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House has been hailed as a perfect work of unnerving terror. It is the story of four seekers who arrive at a notoriously unfriendly pile called Hill House: Dr. Montague, an occult scholar looking for solid evidence of a "haunting"; Theodora, his lighthearted assistant; Eleanor, a friendless, fragile young woman well acquainted with poltergeists; and Luke, the future heir of Hill House. At first, their stay seems destined to be merely a spooky encounter with inexplicable phenomena. But Hill House is gathering its powers-and soon it will choose one of them to make its own.


2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the read-a-thon, Eugenia! So glad you are reading with us this week. I read Hill House a couple of years ago. It's a scary gothic novel. I enjoyed it.

    Have fun reading! I'll be checking in with you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle! Glad to be participating!

      Delete