Saturday, 26 May 2012

Brick Oven of Long Ago - Snapshot Saturday

About forty or fifty years ago, before most people had regular GE ovens, this is what our ovens looked like in the Virgin Islands.  The wood was made to burn inside and you'd have a long, wooden ladle-type thing (don't know if it had a name) which you'd use to put your bread in.  I've never actually seen one used so I don't know exactly how it would have worked but the old-timers say the bread from these brick ovens tasted way better than those from the modern ovens.  The ovens were also used to bake cakes!


Making the brick ovens was something of an art and few are able to build one now.

That's either a plantain or banana tree towering over it.


Today, I'm once again participating in Snapshot Saturday which is sponsored by Alyce of At Home With Books! Photos can be old or new, and be of any subject as long as they are clean and appropriate for all eyes to see. How much detail you give in the caption is entirely up to you. Please don't post random photos that you find online.







19 comments:

  1. I have seen some of these in Honduras - I think they look so cool and it would be fun to see one in action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible, isn't it, the knowledge that people used to have? I bet the bread was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet so too but it seems like a lot of work!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful story and photos...and now I'm feeling nostalgic for the old days. Even though those times preceded me, I can recall stories my grandmother told me.

    Thanks for sharing...and here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos made me wonder what was around that old oven 'back in the day'. The work that it took to produce food back then was so great ... today, brick oven pizzas and breads are a novelty - then, they were the norm. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ovens always seemed to be set a little way off from the house - perhaps from a fear of fire? I'm told that when there was a big wedding, the bakers of the village would be kept busy for days before the event! Wedding celebrations then could last a whole day and into the night as people hosted friends and family from villages further away. (We're very mountainous so it wasn't every day somebody who lived in the East got to see someone from the West though we're only about 21 sq miles.)

      Delete
  5. And now many 'upscale' bakeries and restaurants are adding ovens like this for 'authentic' breads and pizza!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, when and if that trend reaches us, we can just dig these out and dust them off! lol!

      Delete
  6. such interesting tidbits!! I love artifacts like these...and after only 50 years, it seems like a young artifact at that :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool! It reminds me of the pizza ovens in fancy pizza restaurants. Amazing how some of the old ways come back around again when people realize they weren't all bad (even if inconvenient).

    ReplyDelete
  8. These photos remind me of when I was a child and saw an oven like this in a summer kitchen built behind a fancy house in town in the 1870s. The kitchen was apart from the house in hopes that if it ever caught fire, the fire wouldn't spread to the house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting -- they look a bit like the outdoor grills we have in some parks here.

    My Snapshot

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pictures!! I really like the second one with that tree right over the oven, very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It seems like lots of things were better in the old days...probably because people had to take the time and effort to make it right. I'm sure we'd love to have some bread made in the old-fashioned bread ovens.

    Here's my Snapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some restaurants are going back to these old ways!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think pizzas are best when cooked this way :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bet the house stayed cooler with the ovens outside too. Now wealthy people are having outdoor bread ovens built on their patios because they're in fashion again. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete