Wednesday, 23 May 2012

Jaguar Sun Reviewed

Jaguar Sun (Jaguar Sun #1)Jaguar Sun by Martha Bourke
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In the Jaguar Sun world which is based on Mayan mythology, shifters shift into the forms of their spirit companions or naguals. Everyone knows about shifters but they’re not universally accepted so when teenaged Maya finds out about Balam, her jaguar spirit-companion, she’s very ambivalent, not least because she wonders if this will be the last straw that destroys her relationship with Matt, her jock boyfriend. But when she finds out about the Mayan end-of-the-world prophecy just as the members of an evil group begin to take too great an interest in her, she realizes that her life will truly never be the same again. Interesting supporting characters include the twins, Lyssa and Damian, who support Maya through thick and thin and Maya’s own grandmother who fits the role of elderly Wise Woman. If anybody was a tad underdrawn I think it was Maya’s father who didn’t really have much to do or say and seemed rather remote.

I enjoyed Jaguar Sun very much. As other reviewers have said, it was a well-written, fast-paced read and I enjoyed learning about Mayan history and culture. I recommend this for anyone wanting to read a YA novel with an unusual setting.


View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. On my reading list it goes. I've been waiting to find a good YA book.

    ReplyDelete