Monday, 18 June 2012

A Recipe - Tamarind Juice

In Jessamine, I mention a lot of the fruits and foods common in the Caribbean.  One of these is the tamarind.

Tamarinds are tart and make a wonderful juice, poured over lots of ice.




The recipe below comes from Native Recipes, published by the Cooperative Extension Service of the University of the Virgin Islands.

Tamarind Juice

12 - 14   dried tamarinds
3 cups    boiling water
              sugar to taste

Select and shell ripe tamarinds.  Pour boiling water over tamarind and leave for about one hour.  Put through sieve, stirring well to allow th emeat to leae the seeds.  Sweeten to tast, chill and serve over shaved ice.

Servings - 2.

80 calories per serving. (with 2 tablespoons of sugar)

3 comments:

  1. I am going to have to search for this in Los Angeles. It looks odd but the odds things have the best taste. LOL! By the way...Check out the books we are voting for this month for July's Book of the Month. http://www.mochagirlsread.com/ Your on the list. Feel free to promote it as you like to get more votes. :)Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alysia - watch out for the ones you might get in the States. There are tamarinds which are exported from the Philippines and are quite different from ours - much sweeter. I don't like them. If I can't eat tamarinds and screw up my face at the tartness, then it's not a real tamarind! ;-)

    Wow! I'm in really good company on that list! I'd have to say I, myself, would probably vote for Krik Krak - I'm a great fan of Edwidge Danticat's work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tamarind Juice is a good tasty flavor and very attractive. Here new tasty Tamarind Paste recipe and easiest way to prepare at home. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete