Saturday, 18 August 2012

Festival, BVI Style!

The highlight of our annual emancipation celebrations in the Virgin Islands is the August Monday Parade which takes place on the 1st Monday of August.  (Emancipation for the British colonies came into effect on 1st August, 1834 which happened to be a Monday, hence the tradition.)  Usually I watch the parade at street level but this time I watched it from my aunt's balcony since I didn't want to get too far from the coverage of the Olympics!  I wanted to have my cake and eat it, too!


Mocko jumbies are my favourites!






This band, Showtime, won Road March for its song "Exercise."


The kiddies do their thing.




More mocko jumbies (also known as stiltwalkers)








The colorful Treasures troupe entertains with their routine.





The winning Anasazi Dancers put on a show for the crowd.  The territory traditionally pays homage to Native Americans in the parade.    



Snapshot Saturday is sponsored by Alyce of At Home With Books! Photos can be old or new, and be of any subject as long as they are clean and appropriate for all eyes to see. How much detail you give in the caption is entirely up to you. Please don't post random photos that you find online.

6 comments:

  1. Wow Eugenia, I didn't know all of the history about the emancipation but thanks ! I love the photos and I would have a front row seat if ever I get to attend !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Carolyn! Thanks for visiting! Some visitors from the States have been coming every year for decades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so colourful, and I love the mocko jumbies - I've always been fascinated by stilt walking and I've always wanted to have a go, because I'm five foot nothing, and I'd like to be tall for a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit short too, so I'd love to try it but I'm dreadfully afraid of falling - the ground would be far away!

      Delete
  4. Great photos...glad I clicked thru from your Sat Snapshot post for 8-25...you might consider the Orange you glad it's Friday meme that just began found at: http://gresham-hoodphoto.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for clicking through and for the heads-up about the new meme - I'll check it out!

      Delete