Saturday, 29 September 2012

Boats of Frenchtown - Snapshot Saturday

In an effort to attract agricultural labour after the demise of slavery, officials in the Danish West Indies (now the US Virgin Islands)  sent out a call for immigrants, promising good wages.  In response, in the 1870s, a large group of people left St. Bartholomew (St. Barts) and traveled north to St. Thomas where they settled along the coast, just outside of Charlotte Amalie, the capital.  Many were fishermen and the area became, and has remained, a fishing village known as Frenchtown.  I took this pix of the fishing boats a couple months ago.



Today, I'm once again participating in Snapshot Saturday which is sponsored by Alyce of At Home With Books! Photos can be old or new, and be of any subject as long as they are clean and appropriate for all eyes to see. How much detail you give in the caption is entirely up to you. Please don't post random photos that you find online.

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful shot! I love boats, water and nice sky photos. Yours has the extra bonus of mountains in the background. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a gorgeous picture, with an interesting story behind it. My Snapshot is at http://goo.gl/DncFP

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing quite so gorgeous as boats on the water...I love the story of the fishing village.

    Here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. How interesting! It looks like fishing is still a thriving business there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. The market where the fish are sold is just a few steps away.

      Delete
  5. I am a new visitor to your blog.

    A really lovely photo and thank you for the info on how Frenchtown came to be.

    carol
    DizzyC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice photo! (I have a friend whose screen name is Rambling Rose.) So much sun and blue water...

    My Snapshot

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neat that it retains that fishing heritage!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty picture! I love the symmetry of the boats all lined up.

    Enjoy the weekend -

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice slice of life...Hope you have a great week-end♫♪

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tantalising glimpse into an area of the world I know very little about.
    I look forward to your future snapshots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Liked the history lesson and the photo; thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, for a dose of that sunny harbor! It's been rainy and raw for the past two days ... wish I could lay me down on a beach somewhere and soak up some warm sun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great shot. Are they ready to go out or did they just come in from fishing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they may have come in because fish was being sold in the market.

      Delete
  14. What a fun picture! I love that sky! And the "Rambling Rose" - great shot!

    ReplyDelete