Saturday, 1 September 2012

Here, There, and Everywhere - Snapshot Saturday

I've been to St. Thomas numerous times from the time I was a child but it was only during a recent trip that I realized how common iguanas were over there!  In fact, I'd never seen an iguana on St. Thomas until a few months ago and then I saw them everywhere I looked!  On the highway, near the coast, scampering across the road.  Iguanas for days as we say here (meaning lots).

This kind, the Green Iguana, (as opposed to the Anegada Iguana found nowhere else but on that island) was a recent introduction and not a completely welcome one.  They can grow up to six feet and are voracious herbivores.  Puerto Rico plans to round up as many as possible for export to countries such as Guatemala and Nicaragua where they are considered a delicacy or, at least, to have medicinal properties.  Maybe St. Thomas will start doing the same!


These two were on the highway median. 



We saw this one and the one below near Coki Point.



My daughter likes them and got quite close but I have a strong interest in maintaining the integrity of my skin so I'd rather watch them from a distance!  As this article points out, they can get aggressive. 










18 comments:

  1. Wow, they are quite something out in the wild like that. We only ever see them in pet stores or zoos around here. They don't look all together friendly, though, do they.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! They creep me out! When we lived in north Carolina, there was a little lizard that loved to camp out in my doorway calla lily ... he made me jump everytime he surprised me by darting away when I came to water the plant. I can just imagine my reaction to meeting an iguana that big!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite startling! I don't mind lizards and snakes - I just hate having them in the house but these iguanas look quite fierce. Not anything I'd want to put my fingers near to! lol!

      Delete
  3. Gosh, they look very prehistoric, don't they. Makes me think of the Dory Previn LP, which I love... My Snapshot is at http://goo.gl/UR1qO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I'd be as brave as your daughter, either. They look pretty intimidating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like them too but at a great distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best way to enjoy some animals is definitely from a distance!

      Delete
  6. I lived in Puerto Rico briefly when I was a teenager so I must have seen a few of these guys. Ugh, I'm with you, Eugenia. I wouldn't want to get too close. I like your orange meme by the way; I'll subscribe so I don't miss the fun next time round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, the Puerto Ricans are fed up with them. I'm told we have them over here on Tortola but I haven't seen any yet.

      Delete
  7. Iguanas are so interesting, my 7YO keeps begging me for one for a pet... I prefer pets that do not require live dinner... anyhow, maybe I can take a trip to St Thomas and he can see them :) Thanks for sharing, Book Savvy Babe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are said to only eat plants so you might want to consider one... I'm sure the St. Thomians wouldn't mind if you offered to take one or a couple dozen home with you. ;-)

      Delete
  8. I'm with you...I would probably keep my distance too! Awesome photos, though!


    Here's my Snapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think they're cute, but I agree with the above comment about not wanting to have to feed it live dinners (bugs - yuck). I certainly wouldn't want to eat iguana. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That last shot looks pretty close♫

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fantastic. I love it when you see creatures living their lives like that, when you've only seen them in a zoo before.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think they're kinda cute. I noticed them all over the place in Mexico when we were in Playa del Carmen. They didn't bother anyone, just sat in the sun and posed for photos with the tourists. I wasn't about to touch one or eat one either!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool Pics! I would definitely keep my distance.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fascinating ! Are they friendly ? Or do they attack ? They look like little dragons !

    ReplyDelete