Saturday, 10 November 2012

Snapshot Saturday - Main Street, Road Town

Today, I'm once again participating in Snapshot Saturday which is sponsored by Alyce of At Home With Books! Photos can be old or new, and be of any subject as long as they are clean and appropriate for all eyes to see. How much detail you give in the caption is entirely up to you. Please don't post random photos that you find online.

Because I live at one end of Main Street, most of the pictures I take are of that area so a couple weekends ago I walked up to the other end.  Main Street still has a quaint, Caribbean flavour but, in the absence of historical preservation legislation, that mightn't last.  These were taken on a Sunday - during the week there are so many cars that you can't really get good pictures.

The bottom of the two-storey blue and white building houses Serendipity, a bookstore.

The palms in the pix below are a mix of Coconut and Royal Palms.


When I was young, two elderly ladies lived in the orange building and they used to feed me cake and tamarind juice whenever I stopped by.



 People still live in a lot of these old houses, some of which go back to the early 1900s and before.



18 comments:

  1. I love seeing the different colors of houses and shops often found in the Caribbean. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it may sound silly, it looks just as I imagine a Caribbean town should look, and I love the colourful buildings and those wonderful palm trees. My Snapshot is at http://goo.gl/CQuKI

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bright colours on these houses make them look so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love the street! The houses are wonderfully unusual and I adored the story about the old women giving you cake and juice.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your street is so colorful and fun! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So interesting! I hope somehow these historical spots can be preserved. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great photos, it's great seeing how well maintained some of those old buildings are. I love the colors too, they give main street character :) Thanks for sharing, Book Savvy Babe

    ReplyDelete
  8. I particularly like the first photo. It's nice how it goes from white to color to white to color.

    Here's my Snapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the sense of time gone by ... the different kinds of architecture, the vivid paints, and the curve of the street ... it is soooo OFF the grid design of mdern cities ... I hope it is preserved and protected before it is 'refurbished' ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  10. I love the pretty bright colors of the houses!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for a lovely tour! I love the story of the two old women feeding you cake - what a sweet memory.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In addition to the gorgeous streetscape, I love the memories. Wish I could teleport to that bookstore right now. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your main street has history and character and stories to tell.
    The light, the mountains and the greenery somehow reminds me a little of northern NSW and Queensland.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ordinary Words...the history is interesting, the memories delightful♫♪

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photos - I just love the colorful houses!

    Hope you are enjoying the weekend -

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very colourful. Looks like a nice place to live. Thanks for visiting my snapshot earlier.

    ReplyDelete