Saturday, 3 November 2012

Snapshot Saturday - Miracle Fruit

Some years back, all the health magazines were full of stories about the health benefits of the Noni plant.  The Noni grows commonly around the British Virgin Islands and is used in folk medicine.  According to the US National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine of the National Institutes of Health -
Noni is an evergreen shrub or small tree that grows throughout the tropical regions of the Pacific Ocean, from Southeast Asia to Australia. Noni has a history of use as a topical preparation for joint pain and skin conditions. Today, noni fruit juice has folk uses as a general health tonic and for cancer and chronic conditions such as cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
The noni fruit is most commonly combined with other fruits (such as grape) to make juice. Preparations of the fruit and leaves are also available in capsules, tablets, and teas.

A close-up of the Noni fruit

I'm here to tell you that it tastes AWFUL!!!!  So if you're gonna drink it, you'll definitely need to mix it with something more palatable unless you're literally someone of great intestinal fortitude.


The fruit from another angle

 The tree is quite attractive with its big leaves.

 Today, I'm once again participating in Snapshot Saturday which is sponsored by Alyce of At Home With Books! Photos can be old or new, and be of any subject as long as they are clean and appropriate for all eyes to see. How much detail you give in the caption is entirely up to you. Please don't post random photos that you find online.

14 comments:

  1. Why is it that the stuff that is good for you tastes awful??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been asking that same question since my first taste of cod liver oil!

      Delete
  2. Wish it were widely available...everyone I know complains of joint pain!

    Here's my Saturday Snapshot. Hope you will stop by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An alternative or herbal health store might have it. I've heard that there's a company in Hawaii, I think it is, that bottles it.

      Delete
  3. There have been a couple of weird fruits today! Very interesting pics.

    Lisa @ Alive on the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm interesting fruit but I think I'd have to take the supplement in tablet form. My intestinal fortitude is not that sturdy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of it before, but I'm glad to have your feedback so I don't have to try it firsthand to find out about the taste. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll stick with my strawberries, bananas and blueberries!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have to take the pill kind as well :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried some kind of Noni fruit drink a few months ago and my friend kept swearing by it ~ how nice and refreshing that someone is HONEST about the taste! But you're right, the leaves are beautiful :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd been considering drinking it by way of preventing any of the dire health conditions it's supposed to treat but after that taste I thought I'd just stick with my multivitamin and green smoothies.

      Delete
  9. I've heard of this before, but it's always rather expensive in Australia, and now that I know it doesn't taste great, I'm less inclined to try it. Although I did manage a few tentative nibbles of durian icecream in Singapore a few years back, so you never know the time may come. ....

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a beautiful plant. I've never heard of Noni. Good to know that it needs help to be a drinkable juice.

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. The juice has to be mixed with other fruits for a better taste? Interesting.Some medicinal plants are not palatable.

    ReplyDelete