Saturday, 26 January 2013

Snapshot Saturday - Books to you!

I grew up in Road Town, the capital of the BVI and was lucky because the Public Library was just a 15-minute walk away from my house but, before the 1970s, children in most of the hills and valleys away from town depended on the mobile library service.  This is the latest incarnation of the Bookmobile which is still used to get books to kids in some areas of Tortola where no branches of the library have been established.

BVI Bookmobile

Today, I'm once again participating in Snapshot Saturday which is sponsored by Alyce of At Home With Books! Photos can be old or new, and be of any subject as long as they are clean and appropriate for all eyes to see. How much detail you give in the caption is entirely up to you. Please don't post random photos that you find online.




14 comments:

  1. Perfect for a book oriented blog hop♫♪

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is that!? I love the idea of mobile libraries wherever they are needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY for Book Mobiles! I have never been in one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to love the summertime bookmobile that came around our town to bring books to the schoolchildren! Vacation reading was always so luxurious ... only what you wanted and for as long as you wanted! Heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love libraries and have always gone, but they were always in big cities.
    I always thought that it would be fun to a rolling library drop by!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Susan, I remember the bookmobile coming during the summer. What a magical experience to 'climb' into the funny little trailer and look around at the cramped shelves. That was back when every single book opened up a new door.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a very cheerful looking vehicle.Mobile libraries have been part of life in British villages for many years, but sadly in some areas I believe they have been withdrawn, to save money. My Snapshot is at http://goo.gl/GVIbC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our bookmobile was a long trailer that was hauled in by a truck. I took my children to it when getting to the big library downtown was not an option. It had several locations, different days. Loved the bookmobile as you do, but I do not have a picture of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember the bookmobile from my youth. It was a converted school bus, a big one. I don't think I ever got books from it though. It was only a few blocks to the city library. It was a small town.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We never had a bookmobile that I remember.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Saturday Snapshot

    ReplyDelete
  11. Book mobiles are awesome! I've never used one, but have lived in several communities with them in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Libraries are my favorite things. I can't imagine not being able to get to one, but bookmobiles are a good subsitute. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cool, I haven't seen a bookmobile in a long time...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bookmobiles are a great idea, great to see that they're still out there.

    ReplyDelete